Is it just me, or have the mornings just got a whole lot colder!? Autumn is definitely here, and it’s not only harder to get out of your warm snuggly bed, but your skin is also feeling the change too and reacting to this new season. The shift in climate brings new needs for the skin, and that’s why I want to give you a set of tips so that you can adapt your skincare routine to this time of year and maintain optimum skin health.
When one season ends and the next one begins, we think about changing our wardrobes, nutrition, lifestyle, but what about our beauty routines? When thinking about skin and the seasons, I look at each new season as a beautiful reminder to reflect on our skin and complexion and take action to keep it glowing.
Autumn brings a drop in temperature with cool, crisp mornings that can cause your skin to become drier and more sensitive. Did you know that if the temperature drops below 8 degrees, the sebaceous glands can dramatically slow their sebum production (oil) or can stop completely? A lack of sebum weakens the barrier of the skin, which will result in a compromised skin barrier and dryness. And, if your skin barrier is already compromised, it's even more critical that you focus on maintaining your skincare routine during the cooler months.
Autumn is the time to increase the lipid content of your moisturizer to keep the skin soft, smooth, and supple to be resistant to environmental stressors. This change in skincare is significant if you spend a lot of time outdoors and for those working in overheated indoor environments.
There’s a lot to get excited about for the fall season, but as we transition into Autumn and the weather changes, the way your skin reacts to the new temperatures changes too. So it’s not just trendy to change up your skincare routine for fall—it’s crucial for maintaining healthy, happy skin all year-round.
Environmental factors, such as humidity, wind, central heating, and temperature, can have a considerable impact on the deficiency of proteins and lipids within the skin, affecting the amount of water and oil retained. Due to this happening, we can see this all over the body, not just the face …
Here are my tips for achieving glowing skin in Autumn:
- Invest in good Essential Fatty Acids – Nordic Natural Ultimate Omega is a quality supplement that will help skin nutrition from the inside out.
- Add a toner that contains both omega 3 and 6 to your routine, such as Dermaviduals Suusmoon lotion N, to your regime – to support and repair your skin barrier.
- Add extra lipids to your skincare regime look pure ingredients, and facial oils like Dermaviduals jojoba oil or avocado oil can be easily added to your moisturizer or blended in a customized serum.
- Look after your whole body – not just your face. Take a nice relaxing bath with Dermaviduals Tenfione Semisomal Bath or use Tenfione spray to keep your skin hydrated, then use our dermaviduals body lotion or massage oil. These can safely be used on a baby’s skin as a nourishing moisturizer.
- Use Dermaviduals Oleogel Plus at night on top of your night cream or apply when facing harsh outdoor weather to protect your face from cold and windburn.
- Keep your Dermaviduals Lip Balm handy. Cooler temperature and wind take moisture away from your skin. And, try not to lick your lips too often!
- Continue using sunscreen – while UV radiation is more significant during the summertime, it’s still present throughout all four seasons! Sunscreen should be used at all times because it generally helps decrease UV radiation.
We know that everyone has different skin, with its own set of unique needs. The beauty of Dermaviduals is that small changes in your prescription make BIG changes in your skin! A skin consultation with a skin expert will always be KEY, even for existing clients, no matter if you’ve used Dermaviduals for years or weeks. Changes in our skin can occur due to changes in season, increase in heating, decrease in water intake, extremes from hot to cold. These all have a part to play in how our skin reacts. And each skin reacts differently.nz_skin_expert
If you’d like to refresh your complexion and start the season with a fresh, radiant face, contact me for a skin consultation and review of your products going into the cooler months.
Love the skin you’re in